Line-us App redesign

Hey,
I love my line-us :), but I gave the app 2 or 3 stars in the appstore because it’s really confusing when you use it the first time and everything feels mixed-up. I think the focus should be on the drawing screen because now it’s like jumping around and search for the functions. On the ipad it’s “okey” because you’ve the drawing area and the functions on the same screen.

So I’ve started to redesign it. Maybe this could help you to improve the app and is a little inspiration. :slight_smile:
This is a link to the design file I work with:
Figma Design File (Left corner on the burger menu you can switch between different stages)

Click Dummie (you can start this by yourself when you click on the figma link and than in the upper right corner on the play button)

Wish you all the best in 2019 :slight_smile:

This looks really nice! I agree that on a phone it gets a bit difficult to flip flop back and forth between the drawing screen and tool selection/configuration. Overall the mechanisms by which you select and configure modes and tools is a bit “quirky” as well.

I wonder how the app is built… must be some form of cross-platform framework.

Thanks @carlhauser - really appreciate your thoughts. You’re right, the app was primarily designed for iPad (so landscape mode). The phone (portrait) version was added quite late in the development when we found we could add it without too much work - we really expected it to be mainly used for viewing and drawing to Line-us rather than creating drawings so you’re right to say the app isn’t optimised for drawing on the phone. The app is written in AS3/AIR - at some point we’re likely to move to something more modern and at that point we’ll have a re-think of the UI. For now though we’re focussing on new features (we’re working on Z axis levelling at the moment for example) so no major UI changes for now unfortunately.