Line-us SVG Plotter

I wrote a simple SVG plotter for the LineUs drawbot made with Processing 2.2.1 and Geomerative Plugin.

Usage:
You can simply open the code in Processing 2.2.1, install the Geomerative plugin (via menu) and run the sketch. Since this plotter is dependent on the SVG functions of Geomerative (flattening and polygonizer) we are stuck with Processing version 2.2.1.

Alternatively you can run the applications for Mac OS and Windows.

Github code
Applications

Application interface / keys / shortcuts:

• drawbot address: a (usually lineus.local in wifi and 192.168.0.4 in setup mode)
  • open SVG: o
  • zoom: +/-
  • move: arrow keys <>
  • rotate: r
  • show lines: l
  • connect Line-Us: c
  • plot drawing: p
  • hide menu: h

Known bugs:

• The image seems to be slightly skewed on my machine

Had a little play around with this and it it very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Resolved - I finally got the connection made! Now to figure out why my svg file is filled in. Thanks again for this great plugin!

This is just what I’m looking for! However, I must be missing a step. I’ve downloaded processing, installed Geomerative and pasted the code into processing. I don’t know what the next step is to get it to work. When I run the processing code it says, “java.net.UnknownHostException: lineus.local”

Are you running on Windows? If so you may need to install Bonjour from Apple it uses bonjour to connect to Line-us. Also, it’s using the default name so if you’d re-named your Line-us (in the app) that could also be the cause.

Just lastly, there are pre-packaged installers for mac and windows (the zip files rather than source) which will save you a bit of time if you just want to run the app rather than get the source.

Otherwise you could simple set the IP of the Line-us without Bonjour to 192.168.4.1 in the code or via key ‘a’.

Yes, although you’d need to find the IP - 192.168.4.1 would be correct for ‘Red Mode’ but if it’s connected to your WiFi it would be different. You’d be able to get it by logging in to your router.

Thanks Rob! I ended up just using the IP address the device was assigned on my home network. Thanks for the other ideas too!

It seemed to work fine on my mac without the need for Bonjour - but that’s good to know for the future. thanks!

Yes, macs have bonjour installed as default, it’s just Windows that needs it. Using the IP address is fine too though.